Being careless with the security of your property leaves your home vulnerable to intrusions and this is something you want to avoid at all costs. There are numerous safety measures you can take to keep your home safe from burglars and thieves. You can choose from advanced CCTV surveillance systems, alarm systems, security lights, motion sensor lights, to video doorbells and smart technology locks and more.
The Best Locks For Home Security
While all of these are important aspects, there are a number of other things you can do to keep your home safe with locks. Let’s take a look at what some of these are:
- Make sure your front door has very strong locks that cannot be forced open from the exterior. For screen, doors, make it a point to have a mortice lock installed as this helps improve the security of the door. Most screen doors don’t have very strong locks and adding one is a good way to prevent break-ins. You should consider getting a video doorbell as well as an alarm system installed on your front door. These measures are crucial especially if you travel a lot and your home is vacant for a large part of the year.
- For all types of external hinged doors, install and cylinder locks. Just installing standard knob sets isn’t sufficient and you need to have installations with dead latch mechanisms. This helps avoid forced entry into your property as perpetrators tend to use credit cards to open poor quality door locks without added security.
- Almost every home has some sliding door features in its structure. The doors that lead out to decks, patios or other outdoor spaces tend to become a weak point in the security of your home. It is important that you get patio locks or key-operated locks installed on all of these doors. Inserting metal wedges and wooden dowels in the tracks is a good way to ensure that no one is able to forcibly push open the sliding doors from the outside.
- The windows on the ground floor of your home are vulnerable to attack and it’s important that you install some security features such as burglar bars and single cylinder locks. The addition of security screens also helps improve the security levels of your property. Glass sensors are another great addition to the ground floor windows of your home.
- Make sure that the side and rear gates to your property are secured well at all times, especially when there isn’t anyone in the house. As these areas aren’t visible from the street, they become a very vulnerable point with reference to the security and safety of your house. It’s a good idea to use very strong padlocks on these gates and doors.
- Garages are another weak point in the security of your residential property and if the structure is attached to your home the internal door needs proper lock systems too. Invest in a good quality garage door opener and make sure that you also have deadbolts or a mortice lock installed on the internal door too.
Get the lock installation done by licensed and experienced locksmiths to ensure the strength, proper operation and longevity of the fixture. For any information about the different types of locks you can use, feel free to call Campbelltown Locksmiths or send us your requirements via this Online Form.